2017 Indiana Medicaid Data Challenge
Regenstrief Institute, 1101 West 10th Street
Saturday, October 21, 2017, 8-5PM
The Indiana Chapter of HIMSS is pleased to present the 2017 Indiana Medicaid Data Challenge, to spark the interest and ecosystem to leverage an unprecedented level and quality of de-identified healthcare information. At this event, hosted by Regenstrief Institute, teams will compete to develop and to demonstrate the most innovative and impactful utilization of this data.
The State of Indiana’s Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA), in partnership with the state’s Management Performance Hub (MPH), proposes to de-identify a substantial amount of Indiana Medicaid healthcare information and release it to the public, with the goal of demonstrating its potential usefulness in Population Health.
In conjunction with this effort, the Indiana Chapter of HIMSS is pleased to present the 2017 Indiana Medicaid Data Challenge, to spark the interest and ecosystem to leverage this unprecedented level and quality of de-identified healthcare information. At this event, hosted by Regenstrief Institute, teams will compete to develop and to demonstrate the most innovative and impactful utilization of this data.
GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Participants will be responsible for their own costs of travel, lodging and food (except for lunch at event).
- Participation will be open to the general public. Healthcare providers and academic institutions are particularly encouraged to apply.
- There will be no admission or other cost to participate.
- Participation will be limited to 30 teams of no more than 5 members each.
- Participants retain ownership of all IP developed, except where incorporating IP of other parties.
- Participants consent to be photographed/recorded at event for use by IN-HIMSS or sponsors.
WHO MAY PARTICIPATE
The Challenge is open to individuals and teams of individuals (each, a “Participant”).
HOW IT WORKS
Participants will be eligible to develop solutions for one of two Challenges: a data visualization challenge or a data analysis challenge.
Data visualization – We are looking for the most creative use of this data to tell a story using data visuals. This could be built into an application, using Tableau, or in some other data visualization tool. We want to hear the story and see creative ways to visualize and interact with this information.
Data analysis – Are you up to the challenge to explore the potential from sharing Medicaid data? If so, we want to see you apply analysis and statistical modeling skills to develop new insights that have the potential to impact the health of Hoosiers or the administration of Medicaid. Evaluate multiple Medicaid datasets and even bring in third party data – Let your data science ideas flow!
Pre-release of data (with format description) to confirmed participants
On-site event, judging, and selection of winners
Winners invited to demonstrate winning entries at Midwest Fall Technology Conference
Participants will receive access to the Data Portal on October 16th, and are encouraged to explore the data and other datasets prior to the event.
Participants must submit completed solutions for judging and make an in-person presentation on October 21st. One winner per challenge will be announced at the conclusion of the event on October 21st.
The winning teams will also be invited for a live demonstration as part of the 2017 Midwest Fall Technology Conference, October 22nd -24th.
The Challenges will be graded against the following set of criteria:
- Impact: Demonstrates potential for widespread public health impact.
- Innovation:Offers new and creative technology or process innovation solution.
- Approach: Incorporates end-user input/feedback and brings cross-disciplinary expertise data, clinical medicine and business implementation.
Prizes are anticipated to include a cash prize and a limited number of free registrations to the Midwest Fall Technology Conference for the winning team of each challenge.
Please see full challenge rules at the event websitehttp://indiana.himsschapter.org/event/2017-indiana-medicaid-data-challenge