Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world’s leading education technology company. Blackboard is shaping the future of education with big ideas that challenge conventional thinking and advance new models of learning. Every day we’re inspiring people to find new ways to learn, connect and drive change in the way education is delivered and experienced. Through technology and services we bring people closer to the knowledge they seek and to ways they can change their own education and the world for the better.
We’re expanding our engineering team within Blackboard focused on enhancing and maintaining our core product, Learn. This team’s mission is to develop the features and resolve software issues quickly without sacrificing quality that focus on providing customer value: to those students, teachers and education professionals who use our products every day. It’s challenging, but extremely rewarding work and we’re looking for the best and brightest to join us on this adventure.
You’ll be working with some of the best minds in the ‘Ed Tech’ industry and have very real impact on how our students, teachers, and education professionals experience our software.
* Bring together everything you know about software development and actively keep up with new trends and technologies
* Become an active member of a team of developers, following agile principles
* Embrace test development as an integral part of what you deliver as a software engineer
* Be willing to dive into existing product code base, improve the quality and enhance the functionality of the product
* Mentor other team members
* At least 5-7 years of in-depth experience in architecting, developing, maintaining, and deploying scalable multi-tier enterprise web applications
* Solid experience with the Java stack (e.g. SSH) for web application development, SQL databases (e.g. PostGreSQL, Oracle, MsSql)
* Solid problem solving skills, good mastering of data structure, algorithm analysis and design skills
* Ability to pick up new technologies and frameworks quickly
* Experience writing unit & integrations tests
* Ability to work with a team of engineers in cross-functional agile projects. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
* Excellent written and verbal English
* Experience with Agile development, preferably Scrum
* Experience with cloud applications a plus!
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.