This job is EXPIRED. Click Here to see similar jobs.
Staff Software Engineer
Staff Software Engineer
Does being part of a company involved with making learning more desirable, accessible, and meaningful for learners sound good to you? If so, join a fast-paced startup with the resources of an industry leader: Blackboard.
With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world’s leading education technology company. Blackboard is shaping the future of education with big ideas that challenge conventional thinking and advance new models of learning. Every day we’re inspiring people to find new ways to learn, connect and drive change in the way education is delivered and experienced. Through technology and services we bring people closer to the knowledge they seek and to ways they can change their own education and the world for the better.
* You are an engineer with a passion for delivering solutions through the internet
* You love to solve problems
* You excel at working with multidisciplinary teams to develop great user experiences
* You love working with smart people and want to be part of a team
* You are the ultimate power web user keeping yourself up-to-date with the latest trends and breakthroughs in web development technology
* You have a strong record of project execution and completion and have experience with Scrum and agile development practices
* You are excited by the challenge of pushing the limits of the web platform to deliver disruptive, innovative solutions to the world that will delight your customers
* Translate wireframes and sketches into working prototypes to refine interface behaviors
* Build and maintain back-end REST Services using Java
* Participate in user-centered research through client focus groups, interviews, usage analysis, and rapid prototyping
* Profile and optimize the code to get the best possible performance across browsers and operating systems
* Work closely with designers and other developers in a tightly knit, agile team
* Keep your ear to the ground and help us incorporate industry best practices and important developments into our products
* Lead and encourage superior development practices including design reviews, code reviews, and peer mentoring
* 10+ years of experience developing web applications with Java and Spring
* 4+ years of experience creating and consuming RESTful APIs
* Experience with modern CSS frameworks such as SASS and LESS
* Experience with Agile development, preferably Scrum
* Experience integrating with and utilizing 3rd party API providers and cloud services
* Experience with Object-Oriented Analysis, Design, and programming
* Experience using and talking about common Design Patterns
* Knowledge of UX/UI best practices
* Must have a passion for high-quality maintainable code
* Strong understanding of refactoring and continuous improvement
* Comfortability developing on Linux and Unix environments
* Experience creating services for Node.JS
* Experience with building and packaging web applications
* Experience with scripting languages
* Superpowers such as flight, super-strength, or being the world’s greatest detective
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.