We are looking for a talented Electronic Components Engineer to join our team specializing in Electronics Engineering for our CES Controls Unit in Columbus, Indiana / your remote home office.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways
• Investigates electronic hardware problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results.
• Applies and improves electronic hardware development processes and tools. Processes include basic problem solving techniques (5 phase, 7 step, 8D or similar), design for EMC robustness, design for manufacturing, familiarity with embedded electronic hardware development process, requirements analysis. Tools include worst case analysis, circuit simulation (Saber, Cadence PSpice, or equivalent), DFMEA/PFMEA, Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), schematic capture, PCB layout (Mentor Graphics, Zuken, or equivalent), Specification Compliance Matrix (or equivalent).
• Obtains input and negotiates with electronic suppliers and software development teams and delivers prototype hardware to application engineering teams.
• Makes decisions in the areas of hardware requirements, design, validation and test that impact unit cost, functionality, and prototype delivery.
• Responsible for review of less-experienced developers/testers’ work to ensure robust, reusable, and efficient design
• Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
• Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
• Mechanical Design of Electrical Systems - Creates electrical system or electronics-based design or architecture concepts through specific knowledge of electrified (or electrical-based) systems to ensure a system design that adheres to both Cummins and customer expectations.
• Product Failure Mode Avoidance - Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effectively and efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
• Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
• Product Verification and Validation Management - Develops product systems validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes, while managing product risk and relative priority; negotiates product requirements against capability to guide project scope; evaluates analytical, simulation and physical test results to verify product capability and validate requirements; assesses legacy versus proposed system solution capabilities and produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
September 13, 2021