Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine and power technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Powering your potential.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, IN for an Electronic Systems - Power Electronics Technical Advisor. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
• This product focused, developing leadership position tailors’ electronic systems for Cummins products. People in these positions will configure (tune), integrate, test, and release software, electronic control units, tools, sensors, actuators, and harnesses into an electronic system that controls the operation of Cummins’ products in a variety of customer applications.
• Investigates highly difficult or specialized electronic application and systems problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results.
• Creates, manages, improves and applies electronic application and systems development processes and tools. Processes include system specification, modelling and simulation, calibration, Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R), and troubleshooting. Tools include Simulink, calibration tools, and PTC intregity.
Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers control system designs, verified and calibrated software features and builds to product teams.
• Uses systems knowledge and expertise to make decisions in the areas of electronic systems designs, requirements, calibration, and test that impact the quality and performance of calibrated builds and management of cross-BU integration and coordination.
• Responsible for review of less-experienced developers/testers’ work to ensure robust, reusable, and efficient design • Responsible for coaching and developing the next generation of technical experts.
Provides problem resolution leadership for complex systems with a high degree of ambiguity and often global business impact.
• Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across function(s) within a global business unit or managing improvement across business units.
• Coordinates and directs work of technical project teams, up to and including direct management of small to mid-sized teams.
• Operates as the recognized multi-competency specialist or expert in a discipline or product area across a site or global business unit with responsibility for developing local talent (direct or indirect).
• Coaches and mentors’ other engineers, project managers and cross-functional team members.
• May also include academic or industry collaboration in a competency or discipline area.
Design and Application of Mechatronics Systems - Specifies electronic hardware and interconnections that measure and control systems; applies electronic hardware and interconnections in Cummins' products.
Machine Integration and Optimization - Combines various parts or sub-systems into a whole to achieve the output most desired by the customer; applies Cummins' installation requirements using our standard tools, processes and identified best practices to ensure optimization of performance, reliability, cost and quality; analyzes technical issues using proven problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques for rapid resolution.
Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
System Requirements Engineering - Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Systems Thinking - Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks - Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Cultivates innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
Optimizes work processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Manages ambiguity - Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
University, or equivalent bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Technical Specialist/Specialist Engineering equivalent work experience (7 plus years) in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving, quality decision making and providing technical direction and leadership to a project team(s). Knowledge of MS Office tools are preferred
• The primary responsibilities of this position are to develop and influence electronic system architectures, hardware, and software for use in switched-mode power electronics systems used in industrial and power train applications.
• Ideal candidates will possess extensive experience in product line architecture; platform design of electronic systems for maximum reuse with effective management of product variation.
• We are seeking candidates with extensive experience in the application of switched-model power electronics and controls in vehicle powertrain systems and industrial power systems equipment. This experience should include the application of electronic control units, sensors, actuators, harnesses and the interconnectivity of other distributed electronic modules within the system.
• Ideal candidates should possess a deep understanding of the operating first principles, common failure modes, and safety systems of electronic control systems in commercial vehicle and industrial equipment applications.
• Ideal candidates should possess extensive experience with the entire electronic eco-system for designing and maintaining the electronic components, software and subsystems across the entire product life cycle (concept through obsolescence).
Electrification and Power Electronics Role additions:
• Asst. Chief Engineer for any new PD-DIH Electrification/Power Electronics VPI projects.
o Participate in design reviews (delegate for Chief Engineer as required) o Advise and consult with project TPL and DTLs as required.
o Participate in any relevant FIRG reviews • Lead or assist with development of new Electrification / Power Electronics quotes • Assist with development of CE’s Electrification / Power Electronics Hw Architecture o Create / Maintain portfolio of architecture diagrams & technical profiles for existing and new CE PE offerings (coordinate with Kavana) o Develop detailed understanding of Software architecture options, and critical Hw/Sw interface requirements for Electrification / Power Electronics.
o Key reviewer for future Power Electronics related circuit blocks.
• Lead / Assist with development of new ESW required for CE Electrification / Power Electronics Products.
• Participate in regularly scheduled cross BU (NPBU, PSBU, R&T) forums related to power electronics.
• Lead / Assist with future Power Electronics & Electrification related benchmarking projects.
• Establish understanding of external resources, forums, etc. prefably related to Automotive and power generation power electronics.
• Key CE contact for power electronics related Tier2 component suppliers.
• IDP goals geared towards increasing knowledge around power electronics and electrification.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cumminsPosted On
August 24, 2020