Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Cummins' Digital Accelerator functions as our own tech startup, with strategic access to Fortune 150 resources and talents. Our Digital Accelerator team is boldly transforming Cummins into a modern and agile technology company. Through the conception, build and launch of inspiring digital solutions, the unique hub of vision and creativity leverages open architecture, connectivity, big data, advanced analytics, internet-of-things, edge computing and more, to drive the company forward on its journey towards smart technologies.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Senior Software Engineer, where you will be steering the innovation of new experiences for customers.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
• Responsible for developing software programs per technical specifications following programming standards and procedures, performing testing, executing program modifications, and responding to problems by diagnosing and correcting errors in logic and coding.
• Ensures secure coding and UI standards and best practices are applied during development. Provides input and contributes to the enhancement and maintenance of applications and programs.
• Leads efforts to configures, analyzes, designs, develops, and maintains program code and applications.
• Performs detailed and complex unit testing and secure code testing, and issues resolution.
• Drives and supports the process for source code management.
• Contributes to integration, systems, and performance testing and tuning of code.
• Participates in peer secure code reviews.
• Define and promote opportunities for re-usability of code, configurations, procedures, and techniques.
Skills and Experience:
• Solution Functional Fit Analysis - Composes and decomposes a system into its component parts using procedures, tools and work aides for the purpose of studying how well the component parts were designed, purchased and configured to interact holistically to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Solution Modeling - Creates, designs and formulates models, diagrams and documentation using Cummins IT processes, standards, tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Programming - Creates, writes and tests computer code, test scripts, and build scripts using algorithmic analysis and design, Cummins IT processes, standard and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Solution Configuration - Configures, creates and tests a solution for commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) applications using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Data Modeling - Creates, writes and tests data models, test scripts and build scripts using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Performance Tuning - Conceptualizes, analyzes and solves application, database and hardware problems using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
• Solution Validation Testing - Validates a configuration item change or solution using the IT Operating Model (ITOM), including the SDLC standards, tools and metrics, to ensure that it works as designed and meets customer requirements.
• Customer focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
• Global perspective - Taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
• Action oriented - Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Optimizes work processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
• 5+ years professional experience in software development.
• Expertise in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis.
• Ability to produce bullet-proof code that is fault-tolerant, efficient and maintainable.
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, "C++", Objective C, or Java, Python
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Understanding of SDLC best practices and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling
• Knowledge of best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems
• Experienced in development on AWS
• Education, Licenses, Certifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
February 3, 2020