We are looking for a talented Software Engineer Principal to join our team specializing in Systems/Information Technology for our Corporate Segment in Columbus, IN / your remote home office.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
• Develop information systems by studying operations; design, develop and install software solutions; support and develop a software team of developers responsible for building new and supporting existing applications.
• Work across multiple facets of a project with multiple responsibilities at the same time.
• Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle; document and demonstrate solutions; develops flow charts, layouts and documentation.
• Determine feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions; understand business needs and know how to create the tools to manage them.
• Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards and programming.
• Support and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities; Grow engineering teams by interviewing, recruiting and hiring.
• Define applications and their interfaces, allocate responsibilities to applications, understand solution deployment, and communicate requirements for interactions with solution context, define Nonfunctional Requirements (NFRs).
• Provide oversight and foster Built-In Quality and Team and Technical Agility; Adopt new mindsets and habits in how people approach their work while supporting decentralized decision making.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
• College, university, or equivalent degree in computer science, engineering or related subject, or relevant experience equivalent.
• Significant experience working as a Software Engineer in Agile environments and possessing Fundamental IT technical skill sets.
• Experience taking a system from coping requirements through actual launch of the system.
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, identify tasks, provide estimates and meet production deadlines.
• Professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
• Experience coding, developing, and configuring message brokers such as ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, and Kafka.
• Experience deploying highly available production systems on AWS or Azure; AWS preferred.
• Experience in all facets of DevOps (Azure monitor, Azure pipelines, AWS pipeline), including coding, build & artifact packaging, deployment systems, on-call rotation, and SCRUM/Kanban.
• Exposure to IoT devices and platforms; RaspberryPI, Arduino, AWS IoT, or Azure IoT Hub (Azure monitor, Azure pipelines).
• Experience with telemetry or remote monitoring is a plus.
• Multiple OS exposure: Linux (Debian variants preferred, BSD & RHEL acceptable), Windows, and MacOS.
• Significant command shell experience such as z shell, bash, and PowerShell (embedded).
• Experience with production metrics systems inclusive of alarming/alerting and tuning notifications/thresholds; good to have experience on CloudWatch / CWL, Canaries, and Pingdom.
• Designing and integrating RESTful APIs using Java, python.
• Exceptional written, spoken and visual communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
September 13, 2021