Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine and power technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Powering your potential.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, IN for a Software Technical Advisor - Electronic Tools. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
• This applied technology, developing leadership position creates electronic tools that are used to create embedded software, or manufacture and service Cummins’ products. People in these positions will have involvement in specification, design, implementation, testing and/or release of tools.
• Investigates electronic tools problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
• Applies and supports the improvement of electronic tools development processes and tools. Processes include Electronic Tools Product Line (ETPL) common workflow, 7 step problem solving, application product development (requirements, design, development test, support). Tools include platform specific compilers and toolsets for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, software lifecycle tools (such as Integrity) and requirements management (Integrity, Doors), configuration/change management.
• Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers verified software features, components, builds and support to product teams and end users.
• Makes decisions in the areas of software architecture, requirements, design, and test that impact tool product line integration and direction.
• Responsible for review of less-experienced developers/testers’ work to ensure robust, reusable, and efficient design • Responsible for coaching and developing the next generation of technical experts.
Provides problem resolution leadership for complex systems with a high degree of ambiguity and often global business impact.
• Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across function(s) within a global business unit or managing improvement across business units.
• Coordinates and directs work of technical project teams, up to and including direct management of small to mid-sized teams.
• Operates as the recognized multi-competency specialist or expert in a discipline or product area across a site or global business unit with responsibility for developing local talent (direct or indirect).
• Coaches and mentors other engineers, project managers and cross-functional team members.
• May also include academic or industry collaboration in a competency or discipline area.
Systems Thinking - Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
System Requirements Engineering - Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Product Platform Development - Integrates all of the market and key customer needs of a given product platform into a comprehensive and holistic development plan; verifies platform capability for all planned and approved architectural variants within the boundaries of market use rather than the boundaries of any single customer within the target usage markets.
Product Failure Mode Avoidance - Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effectively and efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
Product Configuration and Change Management - Establishes a baseline of identified product artifacts to be placed under configuration management; releases, tracks, controls and communicates changes from concept to obsolescence often through work requests; establishes and maintains the integrity of the product artifact baselines.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks - Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Cultivates innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
Optimizes work processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Manages ambiguity - Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
University, or equivalent bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles. This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Technical Specialist/Specialist Engineering equivalent work experience (7 plus years) in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving, quality decision making and providing technical direction and leadership to a project team(s). Knowledge of MS Office tools are preferred • Experience in fielding software systems as a software developer • Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design, operating system, networking protocols, wireless standards and protocols, security protocols, API development, etc.
• Excellent software development skills and agility to adapt to new languages and programming environments.
• Experience with professional software engineering practices over all aspects of software development life-cycle including writing requirements specifications, developing design guidelines and coding standards, performing code reviews, source code control, build systems, testing, release engineering and field support.
• Experience working in Windows application development with a willingness to learn Linux, Android and iOS development environments. Prior mobile application development experience a plus.
• Excellent problem-solving skills especially debugging of complex software systems.
• Passion for applying latest technologies into the development of innovative applications, features, and products.
• Experience working with SAE, ISO, or ASAM automotive protocols and specifications or relevant similar experience a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cumminsPosted On
August 19, 2020