IFN's Engineer I will work to implement service designs and network augments to support new and modified customer services. This position also works to design basic services based on customer service requests acting in a MACD (move, add, change and disconnect) role. In the MACD role the Engineer 1 will provide “as-built” service designs to the Documentation Administration team. The Engineer I position will conduct diagnostic investigation of customer-impacting network issues and work to provide resolution. This position is responsible for working closely with deployment technicians to ensure successful service delivery, customer satisfaction and issue resolution.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Collaborates with IFN Network Planning and Engineering to ensure best practice implementation related to service deployment, service assurance and network reliability
• Acts as escalation point for first level NOC technicians to ensure quick and effective resolutions
• Handles trouble and change tickets effectively and efficiently to facilitate quick resolution of issues in accordance with established processes
• Remotely supports IFN field operations in the areas of installation, provisioning, test, turn up, maintenance and network restoration
• Configures customer and network links and end points in a Network Monitoring System
• Effectively documents all steps taken to resolve identified and/or reported issues
• Documents post implementation network changes
• Documents and reports bugs and issues related to customer and network performance
• Works with internal groups to create reports on up time, bandwidth usage, server utilization, and other key metrics as directed
• Provides recommendations to improve the customer experience
• Works with higher echelon technicians/engineers to gain working knowledge of how to complete more complex troubleshooting and repair functions
• Works directly with customers in provisioning and confirmation of service availability
• Participates in special projects as needed
• Ability to support Operational departments by participating in an on-call rotation
• Willing and able to work flexible hours and/or additional hours over 40 hours a week when required
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Network Planning & Engineering
• Basic knowledge of service delivery, routing methods and network architecture features:
• MP-BGP (address families, route-reflecting, route maps, communities)
• IP routing protocol configuration and use
• L3VPN configuration
• MPLS service configuration and behavior
• IPv4 and IPv6 routing in an ISP network
• Layer 2 forwarding and loop avoidance technologies
• OSPF costing
• LSP path signaling (cspf, rsvp, ldp, admin groups)
• WDM and OTN networking and topologies.
• Passive xWDM, OADM (Ciena 4200 etc)
• Q-in-Q dot1q tagging (outer, inner, etc)
• Dot1q tag manipulation (pop, push, swap)
• MAC address replication (multicast, broadcast, unknown)
• Mesh VPLS vs Hierarchical VPLS
• 1-2 years of experience working in a service provider or large enterprise environment
• 1-2 years of experience with Network Management Systems, records databases and relevant vendor specific applications
• Exposure to MEF service architecture
• Basic understanding of network scalability and limitations
• Networking technologies, protocols, deployment scenarios and topologies.
• Basic telecom network design and practical application.
• Familiarity or experience with open source and vendor specific tools that support design, deployment and operations of a service provider network.
• Use and understand BCOP (Best Current Operational Practices) for service provider networking.
• Clear and concise verbal/written communications skills are essential
• Team oriented – able to work well with others in a professional environment
• Manage workload to ensure punctual completion of assigned tasks
• Possess the ability to work with internal and external customers at both a business & technical level
• Proven ability to plan and execute projects related to customer service requests
• Possess strong technical aptitude
• Familiarity with various operational environments such as configuration management, operations tools/applications.
• Functional and practical knowledge of Network Management Application Configuration and Support.
• Functional troubleshooting networks L1 through L3.
October 4, 2019