Reporting into the Director of Product Engineering, this role will be critical in helping the organization reach its development roadmap goals. This person has excellent management, technical, and communication skills who can work closely with product management in the definition and delivery of all aspects of our products. We are seeking a talented, high-energy Associated Director of Product Engineering, with experience defining and building out highly scalable SaaS healthcare products. This is a hand-on technical management role who will work closely with the director, agile coach, architects and engineers to drive the development of our products.
• Leads 9+ direct reports comprised of front-line managers, Lead Product Software Engineers, Sr. Product Software Engineers, and Product Software Engineers to accomplish organizational goals and ensures adherence to company policy.
• Accountable for the performance of one or more squads of software and test engineers responsible for maintaining, enhancing, and extending our flat-file build system, APIs, web services, and web applications.
• Develops plans to prioritize technical debt, technical improvements, and improve developer workflow to increase development team throughput, quality, and predictability.
• Evolves policies for operational support, development practices, methodologies to meet business objectives.
• Ensures squads meet delivery objectives on schedule and budget while maintaining high code quality.
• Drive talent recruiting and development, ensuring employees are challenged and successful. Set, evaluate, and manage performance goals for the team members.
• Evaluate project status and resource utilization to implement changes that improve the team's effectiveness to ensure delivery of roadmap projects on time.
• Effectively lead to instill trust, focus on business outcomes, and foster a learning culture. Help the team manage and resolve conflicts.
• Empower squads, squad leads, and team members to be successful in their objectives.
• Manage cross-project escalations, issues, risks, and dependencies.
• Remove/mitigate impediments impacting successful team completion of release goals.
• Collaborate with Product Management, Program Management, Agile Coaches, Architects, and Squad Leads to ensure that work is dynamically prioritized, well-executed, and highly transparent. Coach team members in agile engineering practices.
• Provide functional and technical leadership to Software Engineers, Product Owner Delegates, Scrum Masters, and Project Managers
• Drive efforts to architect, design, develop, and implement technology-enabled business and technical information solutions encompassing multiple specializations, platforms, and technologies
• Provide proactive technical guidance, ensuring team is fostering re-use, design for scale, stability, and operational efficiency of solutions.
• Provide technical design and architectural leadership to multiple projects to help ensure applications are modernized and transformed to adhere to stated architectural and design principles and standards while having the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role
• Ensure the team is following best practices and standards for development.
• Enable the development of deep and thorough unit testing and automated testing by positioning quality as an overall team responsibility.
• Work with the DevOps team to ensure that applications can be built, tested, and deployed in an efficient and automated manner.
• Remain current with evolving industry trends and technologies related to software and test automation development.
Education: Bachelor’s in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Interpersonal & Technical Skills
• Leadership – Strong technology leadership skills to drive successful execution.
• Technologist – Knowledge and interest in the latest system architecture, automation, and data management trends with the ability to rapidly learn and apply new technology.
• Adaptive and Inclusive – works with team members to understand pain points and adjust standards, tools, and best practices accordingly. Ability to dynamically adjust a plan, to resolve resource contention as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Collaborative – Works closely with team members and stakeholders to define problems, gain perspective, and work to deliver solutions. Skilled negotiator who is ability to motivate, persuade, and build consensus.
• Situationally Aware – must be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to teams and to management, where appropriate.
• Enthusiastic – must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for delivering value.
• Transparent – must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about the team and grow business trust.
• Assertive – not afraid to be a voice of reason and authority. Willing to hold teams accountable to vision and values.
• Creativity, initiative, and flexibility – tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
• Honest, humble, friendly, and collegial with a great sense of humor.
• Creative problem-solver – Ability to look at solutions in creative, unconventional ways and recognize opportunities to innovate.
• Excellent prioritization, risk identification, and issue problem solving skills to keep work on track.
• Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve impediments as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Accountable – must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
• Communicative and social – excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills including the ability to work with diverse stakeholders and personality types. Ability to bridge the gap between technical and business stakeholders to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences.
• 10+ years of experience in working in Engineering or Development roles
• 8+ years of progressive experience in application delivery in an Agile Scrum environment
• 1+ years of experience with Public Cloud, preferably Microsoft Azure, including authentication, authorization, encryption, SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS
• Strong leader with minimum 4+ years of experience in managing, coaching, and leading senior level and mid-level staff on multi-functional teams for a SaaS software company.
• A proven track record of successfully executing software engineering initiatives using Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
• Experience working with distributed teams a plus.
• Demonstrated experience developing SaaS and cloud navite healthcare products a plus
• Experience with teams using modern test automation frameworks and tools a plus.
• Demonstrated success attracting, developing, and retaining talented technology professionals.
• Proven track record to completing complex engineering initiatives to completion on time and on budget.
• Proven capability of managing multiple priorities effectively and performing under tight deadlines.
• Competence working on large complex projects, including managing multiple interdependent internal and technology partner teams.
• Ability to participate in the evaluation of the short and long-term implications of technical choices with respect to SDLC best practices, user functionality, application performance, and the potential accumulation of technical debt
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
• Azure certifications are a plus.
• Industry experience in the health care sector is a plus.
• Approaches work with a strong sense of urgency and leads team to have the same drive.
0 - 5%
Normal office environment.
January 14, 2021