Reporting into Wolters Kluwer UpToDate’s Senior Director of Development Operations, this hands-on role will lead day to day execution of projects and will assist in Wolters Kluwer’s DevOps transformation initiatives in order to provide the best path forward into the rollout of new and revamped microservices. This role will focus on and facilitate the development and enablement of a cloud-focused offering.
We are looking for a talented, high-energy individual to transform how we develop, test, and deploy our SaaS products; this will support our transformation from monolithic product-based architecture to a microservices based next generation platform that is the foundation for a portfolio of our new solutions. Working closely with the development and test engineers, the DevOps team is responsible for all aspects of configuration management, build management, test automation, and deployment.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
• Lead projects in a cross functional skilled DevOps team, accelerating the development, testing, and continuous delivery of a microservices platform and a portfolio of products.
• Design and implement future state SaaS / IaaS architecture
• In collaboration with other technology leaders, drive journey to cloud for our products.
• Lead the evaluation, selection, and implementation and/or buildout of tools to support the automation of all development, testing, and deployment processes.
• Monitoring tools and analysis of software performance and systems.
• In collaboration with the Engineering team, identify opportunities and drive efficiency in every step of the development and testing process. Increase engineering throughput and performance without compromising quality.
• Utilizing your experience with microservices, evaluate, select, and implement the tools to effectively scale our microservices platform to support the fast growing volume in our high availability global production infrastructure.
• Lead the tech operations to ensure on-time delivery of roadmap initiatives for the monolithic product as well until the transition is complete our new platform.
• Define metrics, and implement the associated monitoring, to ensure the high performance and stability of our development, test, and production environments.
• Lead by Example: Train, coach, and mentor other Engineers to be focused on automation, service oriented, and effective.
• Integrate the development of best practices, standards, procedures, and quality objectives including metrics for assessing progress.
• Work with other teams to implement solutions based on product vision.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent field.
• History of planning and executing improvement efforts in an organization to improve availability and productivity.
Accustomed to sharing complex ideas to people of different experience level in order to achieve shared vision for a project which must be executed.
• 3+ years of experience leading a DevOps or Infrastructure Engineering team in a software product company, supporting the development and global delivery of a portfolio of products. Demonstrated success managing operations interdependencies across multiple products.
• 3+ years of experience supporting a global commercial B2B or B2C SaaS product and a deep desire to participate in the troubleshooting efforts that imperil Production or are impeding testing progress. Demonstrated understanding the similarities and distinctions between the solutions for Production and testing regions or environments.
• 3+ years of experience deploying and supporting SaaS / IaaS solutions in Azure and AWS. Demonstrated understanding of Cloud provider services and architecture with the ability to instruct / inform team leads in the deployment of products into each provider’s cloud services.
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
• Competence working on complex projects, including managing multiple interdependent internal and technology partner teams. Proven capability of managing multiple priorities effectively and performing under tight deadlines.
• Familiarity with and able to demonstrate understanding of:
· Linux environments and troubleshooting in production
· Windows advanced concepts including Azure and Active Directory
· Configuration Management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet is a plus.
· Docker or other container solutions is a plus.
· Red Hat OpenShift Enterprise, Kubernetes or other container orchestration platforms a plus
• Able to demonstrate understanding of agile methodology and Release Engineering. Be able to leverage what has worked and be open to creative thinking.
• Able to describe and discuss software development life cycle models as well as knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of complex software architecture, and the ability to help enhance, support, and troubleshoot that architecture.
• Assertive – must be able to ensure quality and delivery commitments are adhered to, and not afraid to be a voice of reason and authority. Willing to hold teams accountable to vision and values.
• Situationally Aware – must be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to teams and to management, where appropriate. Proven problem-solver.
• Enthusiastic – must be high-energy. Passionate advocate for delivering value.
• Attitude of transparency – must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about the team and grow business trust.
• Creativity, initiative, and flexibility – tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
• Honest, friendly, collegial with a great sense of humor.
• Creative problem-solver – with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view. Strong problem analysis, problem resolution, and decision making and judgment skills. Willingness to drop everything and rapidly respond to production emergencies.
• Excellent prioritization, risk identification, and issue problem solving skills to keep projects on track. Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve resource contention as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Accountable – must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
• Communicative and social – excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills including the ability to work with diverse stakeholders and personality types. Ability to bridge the gap between technical and business stakeholders.
• Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization (including executive management) on issues of strategy, risk, process, and ongoing operations.
• Sound knowledge of UNIX/Linux and TCP/IP network fundamentals
• Strong knowledge of common technologies such as DNS, NFS, DHCP, SSH, HTTP
• Ability to pick up new software, frameworks, and technologies quickly
• Strong scripting abilities with Bash, Python, or PowerShell
Travel requirements: Up to 5% travel.Posted On
January 20, 2020