Nominees Announced for TechPoint Mira Awards Honoring ‘The Best of Tech in Indiana’
From a record-breaking 205 applications, independent judging panels selected more than 100 companies, organizations, and individuals to advance as Mira Award nominees
Winners will be announced during a black-tie awards ceremony and gala on Saturday, April 28, at the JW Marriott — Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (February 20, 2018) — TechPoint the growth initiative for Indiana’s technology ecosystem, has announced the nominees for its 19th annual Mira Awards presented by Angie’s List, Infosys and Salesforce. The Mira Awards program is a six-month season of events and communications honoring ‘The Best of Tech in Indiana’ each year.
“Our tech community has been undergoing remarkable growth in recent years with $7 billion in acquisitions and IPO’s in the past decade, ranking Indianapolis and Central Indiana one of the top 10 fastest growing tech ecosystems in the country. Last year, LinkedIn and Zillow both ranked Indianapolis number one in America’s Sweet Spots: Cities Where Job Opportunity and Housing Affordability Intersect,” said TechPoint President and CEO Mike Langellier.
“This year’s record class of Mira Award nominees further demonstrates that growth. The 55 total nominees competing for top honors in the six different companies categories have collectively hired 1,150 people and very nearly doubled their revenue from $3.9 billion to $6.8 billion over just the past three years! We look forward to celebrating them during the Mira Awards gala on April 28th with the rest of the tech community.”
Nominees were selected by 52 independent subject matter experts who evaluated and ranked the applications. In March, nominees will deliver presentations and answer questions in-person with one of the independent judging panels, and then the judges will select the winners following their deliberations.
Counting only information submitted by the 55 different companies competing in the six company categories, this year’s Mira Award nominees employ 55,465 people worldwide and 14,327 people here in Indiana. In 2017, these companies posted revenues of more than $6.8 billion.
Key Mira Award events and activities coming up in March, April and May include:
- “People’s Choice Awards” – The public is invited to vote on nominees in three categories – Best Tech Space, Best Tech Event or Best Tech T-Shirt or Swag – until March 15, and the winners will be announced on March 22.
- Visit the Mira Awards Nominee Showcase (http://techpoint.org/2018showcase) to vote for the People’s Choice Award nominees.
- “Mira Awards Gala” – Mira Award winners will be announced at a black-tie awards ceremony and gala on Saturday, April 28, at the JW Marriott – Indianapolis. (Buy Tickets.)
- “Winners’ Circle” – Current and past Mira Award Winners will have the chance to meet face-to-face with venture capital and private equity firms.
The official 2018 TechPoint Mira Award nominees are:
New Startup of the Year
- Digital Health Solutions
- Tend .ly
Scale-up of the Year ($100K-$5M)
- Go Electric
- InGen Technologies
Scale-up of the Year ($5M-$20M)
- OneCause, formerly BidPal
- PFL .com
- Probo Medical
Tech Company of the Year ($20M+)
- Kinney Group
- Renaissance Electronic Services
Company Culture of the Year
- Element Three
- Kronos Incorporated
- Seven Corners
- Upper Hand
Corporate Innovator of the Year
- City of Indianapolis-Marion County, Information Services Agency
- Indiana Management Performance Hub
Best New Tech Product
- Crossroads Education
- Greenlight Guru
- Viral Launch
Innovation of the Year
- Greenlight Guru
- hc1 .com
- Kinney Group
- Pierce Aerospace
- Raytheon Virtual Reality Training
- Regenstrief Institute, Indiana Health Information Exchange, Indiana University Health
- Springbuk Insights Stream
- Viral Launch
Tech Service of the Year
- Trek10 – Serverless Consulting
- Viral Launch
Rising Star Award
- Virginie Adams, Sr. Technical Program Manager, Salesforce
- Nick Birch, Co-Founder, PropelUp
- Max Brickman, Managing Director, Heartland Ventures
- Mat Gangwer, CTO, Rook Security
- Casey Gauss, CEO, Viral Launch
- Stu Harvey, Founder, Foreknow
- Joe Ignatius, Client Executive, Matrix Integration
- Eva Jackson, Senior Marketing Manager, Emplify; Co-Founder, Agile Marketing Indy
- Scott Massey, Co-Founder and CEO, Heliponix
- Jeremy Miller, President, Inspired Blue Media
- Jon Moore, Senior Design Partner, Innovatemap
- Shenyo’a Napiya Nubuya, Founder and CEO, The Next IT Girl; Desktop Support Analyst, T2 Systems
- Ellie Symes, CEO, The Bee Corp
Tech Educator of the Year
- Javier Barrera, Executive Director, Latino Youth Collective
- Kevin Berkopes, Founder and CEO, Crossroads Education
- Travis J. Brown, Assistant Dean, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, & Commercialization, School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering, Indiana University
- Matt Etchison, Vice President of Information Technology for Workforce Alignment, Ivy Tech Community College
- John Fillwalk, Senior Director of Hybrid Technologies, College of Architecture and Planning, Ball State University.
- Informatics Diversity-Enhanced Workforce (iDEW), IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI
- Alexandra Liggins, Co-founder, South Bend Code School
- David Mutchler, Professor of Computer Science & Software Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Jennifer Palilonis, Director, Center for Emerging Media Design & Development, Ball State University
- Penguin Innovations – Purdue University College of Pharmacy Faculty, Steve Abel and John Hertig
- Zachary A. Weber, Director of Interprofessional Education and Clinical Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Purdue University College of Pharmacy
Community Champion of the Year
- Kristen Cooper, CEO and Founder, The Startup Ladies
- Dionne Cross Francis, Associate Professor, Mathematics Education Director – Indiana University P-16 Center for Research and Collaboration
- Gerry Dick, Creator and Host, Inside Indiana Business with Gerry Dick
- Julie Moorehead, Executive Director, TCC Gives
- Tim Peoples, Managing Director, Purdue Foundry
In addition to a special industry recognition — the TechPoint Trailblazer Award — which is selected by the TechPoint board of directors, the Mira Awards judges also select the winner of an Investor of the Year award that is announced prior to the Mira Awards gala in April.
Winners will be announced at a black-tie awards ceremony and gala featuring a reception and three-course seated dinner with live entertainment on Saturday, April 28th, at the JW Marriott — Indianapolis. Early-bird and “Under 30” tickets are on sale now at techpoint.org/mira.
Sponsorship opportunities that include group tickets, are also available by contacting Lauren Petersen at email@example.com or 260-273-1855.
ABOUT TECHPOINT: TechPoint is the nonprofit, industry-led growth initiative for Indiana’s technology companies and overall tech ecosystem. The team is focused on attracting talent, accelerating scale-up companies, activating the community, and amplifying stories of success. For more information, please visit techpoint.org.
EDITOR’S NOTE: The 2018 Mira Awards logo and nominee badge are available for DOWNLOAD in multiple versions