5:30 PM - 9:30 PM
140 W Washington St , Indianapolis, 46240
On October 6th, 2022, Women & Hi Tech will host its signature biennial event, the Leading Light Awards and Scholarship Gala (LLAs). We are so excited it is back in person this year! This prestigious event focuses on celebrating Indiana women, including diverse women, in STEM – women who are risk-takers, leaders, educators, mentors, and those who are changing and impacting our local STEM landscape.
As we began in the 2020 LLAs, Women & Hi Tech will again honor our male allies and our Diversity Equity and Inclusion Champions at this exceptional event. During the Leading Light Awards and Scholarship Gala, we will also award scholarships and grants to women and girls in Indiana pursuing degrees and/or continuing their education in STEM fields. We would be delighted to have you and your organization join us for this remarkable evening at the Indiana Rooftop Ballroom!
The theme of this year’s event will be focused on how we are all “In This Together.” The last two years have had impacts on the world that none of us could have imagined. Focusing on how we have come together during these challenging times, particularly in the STEM community, has been encouraging experience and we are hopeful this sense of community and support will only grow going forward.
Please read more or stay tuned to this site for updated information as we march forward toward the 2022 Leading Light Awards and Scholarship Gala. For general information or questions please contact our LLA Director, Lauryn Andrews, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Our Emcee, Jennie Lopez
Jennie Lopez embodies "Bring Yourself to Work" in everything she does. She empowers diversity and engages employees and organizations to achieve new highs.
Her superpower? Her authenticity! She realized that her strengths are a combination of her Latinx heritage, passions, and learnings from being a mom. Intentionally using her strengths has been the secret towards her personal and professional successful growth journey.
Jennie is originally from Puerto Rico and moved to the US to complete her Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering. Her engineering career includes roles in both Manufacturing & Quality (including Site Head roles) and the business side (Global Brand Leader, Sr. Leader & Chief Operating Officer). She is currently the head of Global Recruiting and Talent Acquisition for Eli Lilly and Company. Jennie is also an executive board member for the Organization of Latinx at her company focusing on developing and accelerating Latinx talent. In 2021 Jennie Lopez joined the Board of Directors for Genesis Research.
In parallel she has also found success in her dancing and fitness careers. Her experiences include: Back up dancer for artists like Julio Iglesias and Ednita Nazario, TV shows, Superbowl Winning NFL Cheerleader/Captain, Fitness Instructor, Presenter and Zumba Master Trainer.
Jennie is frequently invited as a guest speaker at many local and national organizations and was awarded 2020 Working Mother of the Year. She enjoys making intentional fun memories with her family Brad, Izzie (11), & Ethan (8)- they are the WHY and fuel for everything she does.
After many years of working hard to hide her unicorn horn she realized that that’s where magic takes place. She is now proud of being an intentional unicorn and empowers all to do the same.
2022 Leading Light Awards Sponsorship Opportunities
There are several Leading Light Awards (LLA) sponsorship opportunities. This includes supporting a portion of the LLA event as a Signature, Table, Candy, or Bar sponsor. Additionally, there are opportunities to sponsor a scholarship or a grant for professional development. Women & Hi Tech pledges to award at least $50,000 in scholarships this year. Click HERE to view the 2022 Leading Light Awards and Scholarship Gala Sponsorship Opportunities!
Scholarships and Grants—Applications and Nominations Opening Soon!
With special support from our Partners and Friends in the Indiana STEM community, as well as our members, we are committed to award at least $50,000 in grants and scholarships at our 2022 Leading Light Awards.
At least the following Women & Hi Tech Scholarships/Grants will be awarded:
(1) $5,000 Rare Nickel scholarship will be awarded to the overall top undergraduate or graduate female STEM student as determined by the selection committee.
(1) $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to the overall top graduate female STEM student as determined by the selection committee.
(1) $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to the overall top undergraduate female STEM student as determined by the selection committee.
(1) $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to the overall top high school senior female STEM student as determined by the selection committee.
(1) $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to the overall top professional development female STEM student as determined by the selection committee.
(1) #INThisTogether scholarship, the first-ever, fully member-funded Women & Hi Tech scholarship. We're still accepting member donations for this scholarship! If you are a Women & Hi Tech member, and haven't yet made your donation, click here to make your donation online.
We look forward to sharing more scholarship opportunities in the coming weeks and months.
Awards—Applications and Nominations Opening Soon!
In addition, we will soon be accepting and reviewing nominations for the following awards:
- Equity and Inclusion Champion Award - Nominees for this award demonstrate a long-term commitment, sustainable efforts, and significant impact to mentor, recognize, champion, and promote diverse female students or personnel in STEM. They implement programs, change policies, and establish metrics. They ensure that more qualified diverse women are empowered to have a seat and a voice at the table.
- OperationALL™ Male Allies Champion Award - Male nominees in this category have demonstrated a long-term commitment to allyship for women or girls in STEM. They also show tangible efforts and significant impact to mentor, recognize, champion, and promote female students, peers, or employees. Each nominee has been an ally for multiple women or girls in a way that is recognized to have positively changed the trajectory or opportunities provided by their STEM career.
- Mentor Me! Award - To be nominated for the Mentor Me award, women must exhibit a commitment to the encouragement and advancement of women in STEM in Indiana. The winner displays an aptitude in fostering intellectual, creative, and professional growth. She has demonstrated success in providing career, leadership and education opportunities for women, and has served as a positive role model for others.
- Leadership Award - The leadership award recognizes an individual who increased the impact, representation, and effectiveness of women in STEM through outstanding leadership, advocacy, and social contributions in her organization and broader community. She has demonstrated the ability to motivate and energize, to build successful teams, to create an inspiring vision of the future and to deliver on promises.
- Risk Taker Award - To be nominated for the Risk Taker award, women must have demonstrated courage in promoting purposeful change for which success was not guaranteed. The winner will have pursued innovation, focused on STEM-related products, services or ideas in the face of personal or professional sacrifice.
- Rising Star Award - Nominees for the Rising Star Award have demonstrated exceptional and substantive achievements early in their professional STEM careers and show promise for future contributions.
- You Inspire Us! Award - The women nominated for the You Inspire Us! award have demonstrated success in inspiring others in STEM to look beyond their own horizons and set professional and personal goals that exceed those originally conceived. Based on her advocacy, leadership, presence, and visibility in the community, she has advanced STEM in Indiana and inspires us all to push the limits.
- Outstanding Educator in STEM Award - Nominees for this award have made a significant impact on the lives of their students. They have demonstrated excellence in teaching engaging programs that promote student interest, success, and leadership in STEM.
- Outstanding Achievement in STEM Award - Nominees for the Outstanding Achievement in STEM award have positively promoted or provided significant value or innovation in a STEM field. They have made noteworthy contributions in research & development, design, engineering, operational efficiency, process improvement, sustainability, logistics, information technology, supply chain management, or other STEM fields.
- Change the Landscape Award - This award was created in honor of Women & Hi Tech's founding member, Jo Basey. The female nominees for this award have made significant impact to positively change the landscape of one or more workplace environments. They make it easier to recognize, promote, and champion women in STEM to leadership positions, and have ensured that multiple qualified female candidates have a seat and a voice at the table.